Fancy yourself a filmmaker, but don’t know where to start? Hart House offers courses from screenwriting to post-production. It’s “film school on a budget.” Even if you’re an absolute beginner, you will get a chance to write, shoot, direct, edit and produce in these hands-on classes. You have an important story to tell. Develop the skills you need to tell it well.
For an overview of classes, download the complete Hart House Classes and Workshops guide and schedule.
Award-winning directors and producers, skilled technicians and experts in the art of the documentary. Learn more about our filmmaking instructors.
Choose a Class
The Filmmaking classes listed below are offered this term. If you can’t find the class you want, check back again next term. Select a class for more information and to register:
- Movie-Making 101 - 5209
- Documentary Filmmaking: An Introduction - 5210
- Film Lighting 101 - 5211
- Film Production Sound 101 - 5212
- Video Cameras 101 - 5213
- Film Directing 101 - 5214
- Film Post-Production Sound 101 - 5215
- Digital Video Editing with Adobe Premiere: An Introduction - 5219
- Documenting Fieldwork - Session I - 5220
- Documentary Writing - 5222
- Writing a Short Screenplay - 5223
- Film Editing Concepts and Theories - 5224
- Documenting Fieldwork - Session II - 5403
- 100% Hands-On Film for Beginners - Session II - 5404
- 100% Hands-On Film for Beginners - Session III - 5405